Old July 24th 05, 08:23 AM
Pars

"Abeness" > wrote in message
> Pars wrote:
> > I'm in the same boat. I went to the Honda dealership to get my clutch

oil
> > changed (for the 2nd time since owning the car). Turns out, that my

clutch
> > oil was low and the Honda mechanic recommends new master & slave

cylinder
> > and a overhaul for the clutch master cylinder. After 245,000km of hard
> > driving, you'd think a simple oil change should do the job. Oh well..

> What the hell is an "overhaul for a clutch master cylinder"--especially
> after you get a new one? Methinks you have the terminology wrong for
> what the overhaul is on. The master cylinder is the thing your clutch
> pedal is connected to--nowhere near the actual clutch. It's easy to
> replace, as is the slave cylinder, which is attached to the tranny and
> activates the clutch release. I just did both on my 94 Civic.

The mechanic also said that the master and slave cylinder were leaking and
the clutch pedal was very stiff (but not stiff enough to hamper the lead in
my left foot).

> BTW, there's brake fluid in the clutch hydraulics, oil in your tranny.
> Better hope there's no oil in your clutch... ;-)

Yep, they charged me about $6 for the brake oil. The tranny oil was more
expensive at $21 for 3 Litres.

> > would it be wise to also get a new clutch while their working on the

clutch
> > master cylinder?

> If whatever they're wanting to do the overhaul on involves removing the
> tranny, have them inspect the clutch for wear and decide then. Tegger's
> still on his original clutch at 400,000 km...

If I wasn't aggressive with the tranny, I'm sure the thing would probably
would last forever. Considering that the engagement point for my clutch has
gone all the way down to the floor and switching into first or reverse is a
little tricky, something is not right. Also, the low engagement point isn't
doing my tranny any good, since it's more difficult to go all the way down
on the clutch when executing some fast shifting (which is a common
occurrence in my case).

Pars