Old March 12th 05, 06:53 PM
Randolph

Papa wrote:

> This reservoir is attached to the inside surface of the hood, colored black,
> and looks like a bunch of tennis balls. Is it really necessary? Will the A/C
> work without it? My car is a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. Thanks
> for responding.

That particular vacuum reservoir is not specific to the A/C, it is for
the ventilation system in general. Vacuum from the reservoir is used to
open and close the flaps to direct air to the various vents as well as
to switch between fresh and recirk.

If you remove the reservoir and leave the hoses open, you will not be
able to direct the air where you want it, but the A/C will still work.
If you bypass the reservoir (and remove it) the A/C & ventilation system
will work fine most of the time, but you will find that during heavy
acceleration the air flow from the ventilation system may change, and
then return to after you are done accelerating.