Old January 12th 05, 07:11 AM
motsco_ _

Kevin wrote:
> I was driving my 2000 Civic on the highway and it slowly ran down and
> stalled (pressing accelerator didn't give it gas). It was -20 degrees
> at the time, but the car had been started in a warm garage and was
> running fine up til then - engine was at proper temperature. The gas
> tank was just under 1/8 full. I started it again and drove it to a gas
> station (no service bays though) and filled it up. It ran rough for a
> couple of minutes and the engine light came on.
>
> I drove it back home at low speed and it didn't have any more trouble.
> For the last week the engine light has remained on but the car seems
> to run just fine. It starts in cold weather, doesn't run rough, seems
> to have normal acceleration and gad mileage. I haven't read the
> OBD-II diagnostic code yet, but I'm tempted to just reset the fuse and
> see if the light comes back on and if not just ignore it ...
>
> Could this have been cold weather related - perhaps a near empty tank
> and frozen condensation from being in the heated garage? I don't know.
> Any Honda-knowledgeable readers out there have an opinion? Would it be
> safe to try driving it as is? Or is this a situation where I really
> *have* to take it in.
>
> Thanks -
> Kev

It's not Honda-specific, but it is Alberta / Winter specific. As you
asked, it's gas-line icing. Parking in parkades or heated garages with a
low tank is just begging for condensation to get in. Use gasohol, or add
methyl hydrate at each fill-up when it's way below freezing. Keep the
'headroom' in the tank to a minimum.

The $95 . . At least it was only Canadian $$s :-(

'Curly'