Old June 13th 04, 03:23 PM
Circuit Breaker

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:23:39 -0400, Tony H wrote:

> I had this answered last year or so, but I need it answered again.
>
> I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. As we all know, the cigarette lighter
> plugs do not work until the key is either in accessory or in the run
> position. I am aware that the relay for this is under the hood. I was told
> that there was a replacment dummy relay that would leave the power on at all
> times. The only thing I did not get was the part number. I was just at the
> dealer today and he was not aware of such a relay, but he said if I could
> get him a part number, he could order it.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Why pay out your ass for relays that probably control more than just
the cigarette lighter (probably the radio, the navigation panel (if
equ.), rear window defogger, windshield wipers) to make all of it work
without the key in the appropriate position (there is a REASON for
that, BTW -- unless you like dead batteries) and such when all you need to
do is reroute the feed wire in the fuse panel to go to some constant-hot
feed? All you should need is to cut the wire (leave enough on the fuse
panel end to splice elsewhere) and then splice it to a constantly hot
wire, like the one coming from the dome lamp, headlight, or 4-way feeds.
Just be sure to splice it to a *FEED* wire *AHEAD* of the fuse, not
*AFTER* the fuse (that way, if the cannibalized circuit fuse blows, the
fed (cig) circuit stays hot). The fuses for each circuit will still
properly protect each circuit when this is done properly.

This can be done with cheap splice connectors and a crimp tool, $15 for a
kit.

Alternatively, just wire the cig socket directly to the battery with an
added inline fuse. There is a grommet in the firewall with a harness fed
through it that can easily accomodate one more 14 to 16 guage automotive
wire with no problem.

HIH
CJ