Old July 19th 05, 07:30 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
John F. Carr > wrote:
>In article . net>,
>Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>>"JohnH" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Same here; I usually get the jump on the jerky drivers who haul ass to a
>>> red light.

>>I do this too. It works great on timed lights, but hey. Some folks just
>>have to get to the next light before anyone else.

>Racing to a red light also works with actuated lights if nobody is
>yet waiting at the sensor. Getting to the red light quicker will
>get me through the intersection sooner.

Not always. Many sensor actuated lights merely have the sensor
make a request to give a green phase at a specified time. For
example, suppose the minor street is allowed a green every minute,
but a green is only given if the sensor indicates someone is there.

So if you are approaching on the minor street a few seconds before
the light is allowed to turn green, reaching the sensor as soon as
you can may save you a minute. But if the light just turned red,
racing to it won't help unless it would otherwise take you a minute
to get there.
Timothy J. Lee