Old July 5th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Default Jeep yj 4cyl performance fuel injectors swap

jeepRio did pass the time by typing:
> I Recently found out that mustang 5.0 19lb fuel injectors will fit a 94
> 4.0 wrangler. So searching through google groups i noticed that many
> people including myself was wondering if this would be a quick and fun
> upgrade. I myself own a 95 wrangler with a 4cly. Through many people
> say the 4cyl doesnt have power i beg to differ. I've added on my 95 rio
> grande a rock -it max flow intake, 63 mm bored throttle body which i
> did myself using a mid 90's 4.0 cherokee. msd 8mm wires, hi flow cat
> with exhaust, bosch plat. plugs red top battery, helix throttle body
> spacer and 4:88 gears thats just to name a few. SO anyway, i was in
> search of some answers as to whether or not ford mustang injectors 19
> lb will fit a 4cyl b/c it fits a 6cyl. I recently purchased off of ebay
> a set of mustang ford racing 19# yellow fuel injectors for $49. I am
> determined to let jeep fans know if there 4cyl wrangler has once again
> another performance upgrade. But if any one has any suggests or have
> done this before and would like to give some advice just reply?
> Cheers!!!

Won't do a darn thing unless your also pushing more air into the system
or running a stroker. Watch out you don't go too rich or your cat will melt.
An O2 gauge would be worthwhile. You will know when your going too
rich, the gas pedal will have a massive top-end flat-spot and giving
more gas will drop the RPMs. You don't want the engine running there.

Even I run stock injectors. Although I do use a voltage booster and
a larger pressure regulator. Higher pressure=higher flow.
Larger injectors would have allowed me to skip messing with the regulator
and pump, but they were also more expensive.

Still, go for it.

Another thing you can do is try to keep as much heat out of the intake
and fuel system as possible. They make insulation sleeves you can put
around the injector and rail. That's good for a bit. So is changing
to an electric fan and getting rid of the belt parasite.

Multispark is also a good boost, but it's tricky to get right. MSD
makes some good products. Watch the voltage. If you go too high you
will need to replace the distribtor with a wider one (stock one will
arc internally).

--
-- DougW -- 93 ZJ 4.0 http://members.cox.net/wilsond
HESCO Supercharger - 300W IASCA Stereo - Edelbrock IAS Shocks