Old March 30th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Ball joints-S10...

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> First of all, we don't know what year this thing is or if it is two or
> four wheel drive. If its 2 wheel drive, I will give you an hour and a
> half. If its 4 wheel drive, no way in an hour and a half for both.
> Second, ball joint prices are going to be higher at a garage. You don't
> expect to pay 20 or 30 dollars for joints at a garage do you? The shop
> would not stay in business for long if they did. 4 wheel drive ball
> joints are almost double the price as 2 wheel drive joints.

You're right. We don't know exactly what this thing is. I had assumed
a rather ordinary case.

Garages often get a better price than the rest of us, but, even so, it is
not unusual to mark up the part (cost * 3) or so.

I would not personally pay any garage $500 to replace two standard ball
joints, unless I were caught in a heck of a bind.

But not every individual can or will take on a job like this either.