Old June 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Catman

Gordon wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:30:58 GMT, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> Nope
>>>
>>> Apparently I left the car standing for too long this weekend and her
>>> will to live seems to have completely vanished since. I'm not even
>>> sure now it *is* an ignition problem and wonder if she's in need for
>>> another heart transplant. However....

>>Why do you think that?

> The engine's got about 300kkm on it and really didn't run that smooth
> to start with.

Hmm, might be getting on a bit. Mine was fine up to 220kkm+ And I mean
*fine*. Was well cared for though

>>> Ground strap seems okay (don't I also need that to run the solenoid?)

>>Not necessarily
>>
>>> Steady voltage running to the coil.

>>OK
>>
>>> When I lay one of the sparks on top of the engine I actually see it
>>> sparking. Now my vision is somewhat blocked 'cause I'm looking through
>>> the vent holes,

>>Vent holes of what?

> The big black ones on top of the enginebay cover

Ah.
>>> but somehow the sparks seem erratic and I think they
>>> are supposed to be blue-ish, not yellow. Still, shouldn't that give me
>>> at least an occasional crank instead of the silent treatment I'm
>>> receiving now???

>>Possibly. Perhaps we should go back to basics:
>>
>>Fuel, spark compression:
>>
>>I suggest that you check that fuel is getting to the cylinders
>>Then get some 'proper' spark testers (I like the ones that sit on top of
>>the plugs and light up when you get a spark)
>>If those two tests reveal nothing, then over to the pros to get the spark
>>timing checked (which suddenly makes me think: is your distributor loose?)
>>unless you have a timing strobe, and then check that you have compression.
>>TBH I think the compression is unlikely to be the culprit.

> Distributor is fully tight and besides that wouldn't comply with the
> fact that once it runs I can keep it running and even restart it after
> breaks up to several hours.

Well, it *might*, but unlikely with that in mind.

>Using the finger method I defenitly feel
> compression (had to check it because after switching distributor I
> suddenly felt that I might have put it back in reversed). Seems that
> the number four carburettor isn't behaving well either since the
> flowchannel is getting wet. At least proof there's fuel reaching the
> engine.

But too much, or maybe just cos it's not burning. I nearly always had some
fuel in the inlets.

> She has to meet the mechanic next week anyway for her anual
> APK/MOT/VAT. Guess I'll have to tow her to meet that appointment.
> Shame

Never good for the soul.

> Thanks for thinking...

Just irritating that we can't figure it out

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk