Old June 18th 05, 11:28 PM
TeGGeR®

Sparky Spartacus > wrote in
:

> First, thanks muchly for the FAQ, an invaluable tool!

Made possible partly through many contributions from other posters, for
which I am very grateful. I should not forget John Ings, the founder of the
FAQ, and who built it up to what it was when I took it over.

> Question regarding performing maintenance on the front calipers (2003
> Accord 4-door sedan, I4/AT):
>
> 1. "Now we have to remove the two 12mm bolts that hold the caliper to
> its bracket through the slide pins"
>
> The Helm manual says to hold the pins when removing the flange bolts
> which you don't mention (perhaps an Acura/Honda difference?).

I don't know what your calipers look like. The Accord and the Accord-based
Acuras probably use identical brakes.

Over the years Honda has changed the design of many parts. The pad slide
shims are now different from my pictures as well.

> Hole it
> with what? The head of the pins has flats and a 19mm open end wrench
> fits nicely when looking at a spare pin. I don't know if this will work
> with the calipers assembled? The body of the lower pin has flats, but a
> 9mm wrench is too small and a 10mm wrench is too big.

Can you take a picture of the pins and email it to me?

The pins on my car have flats which interfere with extensions on the
caliper body and prevent them from turning.

> An FYI for the NG:
>
> It says in the FAQ: "They're [the pins] the same size and length, so you
> don't have to make sure they go back exactly where they came from"
>
> Not so on my Honda, they have different part nos. and are obviously
> different upon inspection:
>
> Upper = 45236-S9A-A01
>
> Lower = 45235-S9A-A01

As I said in the Introduction, these instructions are specific to my
Integra. Your car may be different. Perhaps I should make this caveat more
explicit.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ