Old May 5th 05, 09:13 PM
Zathras

On Thu, 05 May 2005 08:10:55 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
> wrote:

>"Zathras" wrote:
>
>> Having the mother-in-law in the back seat should not affect where you
>> put your tyres - maybe their pressures though!

>Considering the efforts manufacturers go to optimise weight distribution I
>would suggest it does make a significant difference to the way a car
>handles.
>
>Unladen Transit vans can be quite tail happy!

Well..it's fine by me if you want to swap your tyres round every time
you load or unload your Transit!

>> I'd be surprised if the small hardness and softness difference of
>> modern road tyres had that much of an effect compared to wear
>> differences.

>I would say the reverse. The front end grip of my 156 with Bridgestones S03s
>is incredibly different then the Contis it replaced (when new). Stick some
>Dunlops on the front and it would understeer more. Stick some cheapo no name
>tyres on the front and Goodyear F1s on the back and now check out the
>balance...

But you've now expanded the argument into comparing completely
different tyres from different manufacturers. I was talking about
softness vs hardness.

<snip>

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)