Old March 13th 05, 06:57 AM
JP

Thanks for the input Randy. I added a few comments/questions below.
"Randy Crawford" > wrote in message
> JP wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I have a '96 328i, 102,000 miles, with stock suspension and 15"

wheels.
> > This is my daily driver, 70 miles/day mostly highway in the NY-NJ area.

> > have dedicated snow tires for winter use.

> Keep your current wheels and leave your snow tires on 'em. Buying 17"
> snow tires and swapping them on/off your new wheels would be a major
> waste of money (and convenience).

My snows are on their own steel rims so I don't have to swap 'em on & off.
This year when I took off the alloys w/ the non-snow tires I found one of
the wheels damaged plus all of that rubber needs to be replaced. So, I
figure if I'm going to replace the wheels, now is a good time to do it.
Besides that I've always felt the original 15 hole wheels to be plug-ugly!

> > Any advice on changing to 16" or 17" wheels? I'm considering 17x7 1/2".
> > Would 17"x 7" be a better choice? Would there be that much difference
> > between 16 and 17" wheels? I believe the offset should be 41mm. Is

there
> > room to vary this number? Does a lower offset produce a wider track?

Has
> > anyone bought wheels from Tirerack that don't require spacers and such?
> > How about "refurbished" and OER wheels?

> Never get spacers. Not unless you don't mind losing traction and
> control and steering precision. And looking like a gang banger.
>
> Good wheels that are appropriate to your car are not all that expensive.
> I would get larger wheels only if you think they look a lot prettier
> than the stock wheels and if you're prepared to live with a lot less
> tolerance for pot holes. You'll have to drop from 60 series tires to 50
> (for 16") or even 40 (for 17"). Lower series tires are a lot more
> responsive to steering input, but also a lot more likely to be destroyed
> by pot holes. If you don't care a lot about 1) appearance or 2)
> steering response, I suggest you keep what you've got now.
>
> > Also, at 100K plus miles are springs and shocks due for replacement?
> > Would the stock suspension be too spongy when mated with 17" wheels?

Would
> > lower/firmer be better?

> Replace the springs if you think the ride is too soft or if the car
> doesn't sit level or if you want it to sit lower. Personally, I like
> stiffer springs, so I'd recommend a spring kit. but since you haven't
> indicated WHY you want to change springs, I suggest you stick with what
> you have until you have a good reason to switch.

I haven't checked the height of the car per the Haynes manual yet to see if
the car is sagging. I was really asking for two reasons; Do any of the very
knowledgable posters here advocate replacing suspension parts at mileage
similar to mine regardless of other factors? And, if I were to switch to
lower profile tires to increase steering response, am I giving up some of
that increased response by leaving the softer springs in the car? You
mention you prefer stiffer springs, what size tires do you use? Also, I
find this car gets tossed around in cross winds more than most other cars
I've owned. I'm thinking any little drop in ride height would help. Would
you agree?
BTW, I didn't buy the car new, it had about 50K on it, so I can't compare
the car now to when it was new.