Old March 13th 05, 05:38 AM
Randy Crawford

JP wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have a '96 328i, 102,000 miles, with stock suspension and 15" wheels.
> This is my daily driver, 70 miles/day mostly highway in the NY-NJ area. I
> have dedicated snow tires for winter use.

Keep your current wheels and leave your snow tires on 'em. Buying 17"
snow tires and swapping them on/off your new wheels would be a major
waste of money (and convenience).

> Any advice on changing to 16" or 17" wheels? I'm considering 17x7 1/2".
> Would 17"x 7" be a better choice? Would there be that much difference
> between 16 and 17" wheels? I believe the offset should be 41mm. Is there
> room to vary this number? Does a lower offset produce a wider track? Has
> anyone bought wheels from Tirerack that don't require spacers and such?
> How about "refurbished" and OER wheels?

Never get spacers. Not unless you don't mind losing traction and
control and steering precision. And looking like a gang banger.

Good wheels that are appropriate to your car are not all that expensive.
I would get larger wheels only if you think they look a lot prettier
than the stock wheels and if you're prepared to live with a lot less
tolerance for pot holes. You'll have to drop from 60 series tires to 50
(for 16") or even 40 (for 17"). Lower series tires are a lot more
responsive to steering input, but also a lot more likely to be destroyed
by pot holes. If you don't care a lot about 1) appearance or 2)
steering response, I suggest you keep what you've got now.

> Also, at 100K plus miles are springs and shocks due for replacement?
> Would the stock suspension be too spongy when mated with 17" wheels? Would
> lower/firmer be better?

Replace the springs if you think the ride is too soft or if the car
doesn't sit level or if you want it to sit lower. Personally, I like
stiffer springs, so I'd recommend a spring kit. but since you haven't
indicated WHY you want to change springs, I suggest you stick with what
you have until you have a good reason to switch.

> TIA to all.
>
> JP

Randy