Old July 2nd 05, 05:42 PM
Pubic

Default Transmission? or Clutch?

Howdy!

I have a 95 Miata with 115K miles and am getting some noise from either
the clutch or transmission.

It initially began when I pressed in the clutch - going from 2nd to
third - with a grrr sound when the clutch disengaged. Then it started
doing the same thing going from 3rd to 4th. I should note that this is
an intermittent problem - but getting more frequent.

Now I'm getting a noise (can't tell if a vibration or part of the same
problem - can't "feel" it) when I deaccelerate when in 4th gear.

I just had both clutch cylinders replaced a month ago. Took it back to
them and they thought it was the synchros in the transmission. They
didn't hear the noise tho. Took it to a transmission shop - they gave it
a road test and (of course) the noise didn't happen. Their guess was
that it was the clutch.

Okay you mechanics out there (I'm certainly not one) - what is the best
guess? I'd like to have it fixed but I don't know what to fix. Don't
want to spend the money on something that doesn't need it - tight
budget.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Andy Fern