Old January 20th 05, 04:46 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:21:03 -0500, "Cory Dunkle" >
wrote:

Not top-posting - just replying to subject:

But of course, you've already proved you're a moron.

>Driving at 85 MPH vs 70 MPH only reduced my mileage by .3 MPG.

Do you really think 15 mph is significant?

Of course, on your old beater, 0.3 mpg could very well be a
significant percentage of your overall fuel economy.

>So take that
>you speed kills freaks and tree huggers. Anyhow...
>
>This is in my '68 Galaxie 500 with a 302, FMX, and 2.80:1 gears. The reason
>I believe it made no significant difference is because my engine has a lower
>BSFC at 3000 RPM (85 MPH) than at 2400 RPM (70 MPH), so the increased drag
>from the air

Do you really think this is what causes lower gas mileage at higher
speeds?

>is compensated for by greater fuel efficiency at that RPM. My
>engine should have the least BSFC in the 3000-3500 RPM range. Get out of
>that range, up or down and efficiency decreases.
>
>It it's of any interest the mileage was 14.5 at 70 MPH and 14.2 at 85 MPH.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha - I get twice that EASILY - and I'm sure I
could outrun you and your Galaxie any day of the week.

>expect to gain another MPG or two

You're grasping at straws

>when I get my timing dialed in just where
>the engine wants it. Right now I've only got 30* total mechanical in by 3500
>RPM or so plus whatever vacuum it takes while cruising. I'm gonna give it a
>few more degrees machanical and hae it come in by 2500-3000. Trick is to get
>the curve just right so it doesn't ping on 93 octane and I can still have a
>dencet amount of initial advance (10* now). Come spring I'll have new heads
>though and I'll be able to run on 87 or 89 with as much timing as the engine
>wants. No more of this 11:1 crap. That and an electric fan which should get
>me another MPG or two on top of wahtever I get from getting my timing
>straightened out.
>
>Anyhow, if anyone else has calculated their mileage at different speeds I'd
>be interested to know what it is at the different speeds and what type of
>car it is.

I get in the 30s at 70 mph in my V-6 Chrysler