Old June 24th 05, 05:28 AM
Thomas Cameron

Default Finally chose the engine for my 68 coupe!

Well, I have been going back and forth like a pendulum - do I rebuild the
289? Do I just go nuts and drop a 460 in there? Do I build a 351W
stroker? ARGH!

So I thought I had finally settled on a 351W with a PAW Automotive stroker
kit, taking it out to 420 cubes. I was referred to a Mustangs- and
Fords-only bone yard in Temple, Texas (I am in Austin). I called them up,
told them I wanted a 351W bare block to start the project, and also
scored the complete front disc brakes off a 1980 Grenada cheap in the
process.

So this morning I was supposed to drive up, and I called them and asked if
there was any chance the block I was getting was from a 1994 or newer
vehicle, i.e. a roller motor. He said, "No, it's a 1970 block. But," he
says, "I have a complete 1994 Ford Lightning engine for sale" (from the
oil pan to the fuel injection, with computer and complete wiring harness).
So I look it up. Hrm... 351W, GT40 heads, roller motor, fuel injection,
plenty of horsepower and gobs of torque. So I ask him a bunch of
questions, and find out that the engine was running around a year ago when
the Lightning was wrecked, and has been in a covered warehouse ever since.

He also refers me to a local mechanic who put one of these in a '67 coupe,
and told me to call him. I call, and the guy says that it is not a hard
swap, all you need is a high pressure fuel pump and lines.

I ask how much for the engine, and he tells me $2600. So, there's a new
(to me) fuel-injected Lightning 351W on a stand in the garage!

I think it will be really slick - a fuel-injected 351W roller motor with
GT40 heads in a 1968 Coupe. I am also seriously considering the Ford
Racing blower for the Lightning - at 6psi boost, it pumps up horsepower
and torque by about 30% according to the Ford Racing web site. And it's
only $2050. Hell, I was planning on spending $4000-$5000 on the stroker
motor. If I spend the same amount on this engine and the blower I will
probably wind up with around 375-400 ponies and a more reliable engine.

Thoughts?

Thomas