Old June 21st 05, 02:51 PM
RPS

Ernie Sty > wrote:

> My advice: forget about price and longevity, buy on performance.
> If a tire handles better and stops quicker, it may save you from
> having an accident (not to mention handle better and make the
> car more fun to drive.)

Appreciate all the advice. My driving situation is as follows:

(0) I care about safety first, then quiet ride, then smooth ride, and
tread-life the last.

(1) I don't drive to work and can avoid at least some of the worst
weather.

(2) I live near a big city with lots of pot holes.

(3) Not much rain here, but Midwestern snow (3 months/yr?).

(4) Summers can have a few 95 degree days, and during such a spell we
may need to drive 500 miles to visit family.

(5) I don't deliberately speed beyond 70 mph but flow of traffic plus
downhill inclines do cause the speed to touch 80. However, this is on
good highway, not potholed ones near my home.

> Look for performance test ratings (found in a number of
> different magazines such as Consumer Reports) for your climate
> type (for example in a very rainy climate I'd look for the best
> wet-traction tire.)

I found this to be useful, was recommended in the ng:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp