Old June 8th 05, 03:03 PM
Jonnie Santos

Semi Head wrote:
> Date: Fri, Jun 3, 2005, 10:59pm (CDT+1)
>
> From: (jogone)
>
> >My car overheats with the AC on,
> >except while driving on the highway. I
> >check the 30 amp fuse in the engine
> >compartment and it looks good, there is
> >also a relay but don't know how to check
> >it. I don't want to buy another fan unless
> >i know this one is bad. Can someone
> >please help? Thanks
> >

> >Jogone
> >

> I have the same problem with my 95 SC-2.
> Can someone help us?
>
> S_H

Seems like it's probably a failed temp sensor (or bad connector), or the
fan has gone.

So, with the car parked in the driveway, open of the hood, go start the
car and switch the AC on. The fan should come on at the same time.

If not it's either not getting a signal to switch or it's getting the
signal and the fan motor is shot - which wouldn't be surprising given
the age of the cars mentioned above.

Some Saturns (based on model year) have one or two sensors (maybe 1 is a
sensor and the other a sending unit - can't remember). They are
relatively cheap, but I hate throwing parts at a problem hoping for the
best.

I wasn't able to tell how it is determined either car is overheating.
My fan on a '97 didn't used to come on until the temp gage was waaaay
over to the right (3/4 mark) which was perfectly normal, and then when I
got a new temp sensor the fan started coming on at the 1/2 mark. Since
I don't know the actual engine temp, I'd have to assume the gage reading
changed but not the trigger temp for the fan to switch on. And I don't
know if the signal from the sensor bounces through the PCM or goes
directly to a gage, but that's a whole other (probably unessessary)
conversation - nevermind...