Old July 23rd 05, 11:28 PM
Bill Putney

Randy wrote:
> I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging
> problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the
> car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob.
> I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK.
> I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to
> it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve
> power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone
> have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that
> there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

The dash switch sends a signal to the BCM.

BK/WT wire going to the solenoid is the wire straight from the BCM to
actuate the solenoid. It is one of the outside wires on the connector.
It should light up when the dash button is pushed.

Since you say the BK/WT wire does not get power when you push the remote
or dash button, then either the BCM is not putting out voltage to that
wire, or there is a break in the connection from the BCM or in that
BK/WT wire.

The BK wire - the other outside wire - is the ground for the solenoid coil.

See if you get some reasonable coil resistance reading across the two
terminals on the solenoid.

Based on what you posted (no voltage on either outside wire when button
pushed), it sounds like the problem is not the solenoid.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')