Old December 10th 04, 06:17 AM
SoCalMike

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article <kV7ud.215803$HA.76918@attbi_s01>,
> SoCalMike > wrote:
>

>>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>>

>>>Or, you could be cheap and save the $500 over ten years, and in 5 years
>>>have an engine that's a piece of crap because you didn't do something as
>>>cheap, quick, and easy as change the freaking oil.

>>or just go with mobil1... but not until tis broken in.

> While it's true that Mobile 1 won't break down and lose its critical
> lubricating qualities as quickly as dino oil will under those
> conditions, the fact remains that he'll have accumulated water and acids
> suspended in the oil as a result of his driving patterns.
>
> I'm thinking it's best to remove the contaminants from the system.
>
> So the question becomes: do you do Mobile 1 once a year, or dino 3
> times a year to remove the contaminants from the system?

i just go the mobil1 route, but when i DO drive its usually on the
freeway for 20 miles or so. still, i end up changing that oil about once
every... 4k miles/year.

the OP does do a lot of stop and go, so maybe getting the spiffylube
every "3000 miles" might not be so bad. and they put a sticker on the
window!

if theyre still doing the breakin oil thing, id be tempted to leave the
original fill in for the whole year though.