Old September 15th 04, 06:26 PM
jchase

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> Rivergoat > wrote:
>>
>>Also, what tips for soft top preservation (other than a car cover,
>>which I would consider). I don't have covered parking and would hate
>>to accelerate top wear.

> Keep it clean with mild soap.

sly.

> Leon

I have a '99 (first year of the glass-window top) and have used it as a
daily driver for five years, with a hardtop on roughly from Thanksgiving
to April each year. The car is garaged at home, but in open parking at
all other stopping places. The only deterioration of my top at this
time is slight fading of the forward inner surface (which faces up when
folded). This is likely due to the fact that I virtually never use the
clumsy boot cover, so the folded top is always exposed to sunlight. The
exterior of the top is fine, with only periodic washing using the same
"car cleaners" I use for the rest of the vehicle.

I might add that the glass-window top (factory and aftermarket) may fit
the 1990-1997 cars in most cases, but installing wiring for the
defroster would be a considerable pain.

Joe
Silver '99