Old March 5th 05, 03:52 PM
Bob Shuman

Bert,

We have a '99 Town & Country Limited with 3.8L engine. It has been a very
good vehicle, but is heavier than the earlier vans (we owned one of those
too wit ha 3.3L engine) so gets a bit worse gasoline mileage. Both the 3.3L
and the larger but nearly otherwise identical 3.8L engines are solid. I'd
say the 3.8L is better for the larger size van. We would definitely buy
another as it is still in excellent shape and now has ~65K miles and looks
pretty much like new in most regards.

That said, here is my list of things that could have been improved based on
my personal experience and re-affirmed by this newsgroup pretty much daily:

- Headlight output is not as good as the early 90's vans, but from what I
understand better than mid to late 90's versions.

- Front disk brakes are undersized so pads need replacement too often (for
us, every ~22K miles)

- Front brake rotors are poorly made from cheap steel so needed replacement
due to warping, and deep pitting from road salt at just 4 years. (Quality
replacement parts have faired better.)

- Front sway bar bushings have worn out and now need replacement.

- Vehicle output Speed Sensor wore out at ~36K miles and ~4 years old.

- Starter solenoid contacts wore out at ~50K miles so needed replacement.

- Ignition lock cylinder has been replaced twice now in my van (once under
warranty and now again 3 years later) Note: this problem appears to be
specific to our vehicle

As to what to check when buying a used vehicle, I'd say check for the
following before buying:

- Good maintenance records (tune ups, gas/air/oil/trans filters, PCV, etc.)
and consistent visual appearance.

- Regular interval for motor oil changes of 3-5K miles.

- Vehicle was not used for towing and had transmission fluid changes with
correct ATF+3 or ATF+4 only at no more than 36K mile intervals.

- Serpentine belt, idler, and tensioner should have been replaced if vehicle
has > 90K miles

I can't think of anything more off the top of my head, but am sure others
will offer their experience and collective wisdom.

Bob