Old August 29th 06, 11:36 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Default recommendations for 5 series year / model - in UK

Nick wrote:

> > Not that I'm aware of. We have very strict emission laws, especially
> > here in California. BMW would need to certify that a diesel engine
> > meets all EPA/California emission requirement. BMW hasn't sold a diesel
> > in the US since the E28 524td way back in 1986 or 87.
> >
> > However, its my understanding that in either 2007 or 08, the US will be
> > going to something called ultra clean diesel fuel and BMW is suppose to
> > bring in the highly praised 535d.
> >
> > One other thing, I would try to stay away from idrive and BMW
> > navigation as soon as possible. In the US, only the E90 3 Series allows
> > this option. I bet most people end up not getting either.
> >

> OK - I thought the euro ones had to meet pretty tight laws nowadays as well
> though -
> but praps yours are tighter - however some of us Europeans have the
> ?misguided? opinion that
> the US seems to care less about emissions / fuel economy than the Europeans
> in their general
> lifestyle

I think the problem is the disparity in the price of gas. In Europe,
its my understanding that gasoline cost like $5-7 per gallon. In the
US, people scream when it hits $3 per gallon or so. The difference in
price appears to be taxes. You Europeans allow yourself to be taxed in
this manner.

Further, California is stricter than any other state AND the federal
government on emissions. For example, we were the first to require
catalytic converters. Of course, we also have the most drivers.

For most Americans, when we think of diesel, there is this image of
big, stinky diesel trucks/engines with tons of black smoke. With the
new ultra clean diesel coming soon, that should change. Currently, the
only diesel cars I can think of that are available in the US market are
made by VW and Mercedes. Hopefully, this change in 2007 or 08. I'm
looking forward to a 535d as possibly my next car.