Old August 13th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sharshera

Default Volvo 1988 740 GLE Low gas mileage.

Mike wrote:
> "Sharshera" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE Wagon. It runs very rich. It does something
> > like 18mpg or so in the city and around 23mpg or so on the highway.
> >
> > I changed the O2 sensor, the spark plugs are relatively new, the gas
> > pressure regulator, the fuel filter. I have tried additives to clean
> > injector but all this just went in vein.
> >
> > Does anyone have any clues as what to investigate? What might be the
> > problem?
> > I like the car very much and hope that I can drive more often but I
> > only try to take it in longer trips because of its bad fuel economy.
> >
> > The car has 150Kmiles on it.
> >

> > Any help will be very much appreciated.
> >

> What engine and transmission do you have ? What kind of mileage are you
> expecting ?

The engine is the B230F. It is a 8valve nonTurbo.
I don't have the Automatic Transmission exact model.

> You stated " It does something like 18mpg or so in the city
> and around 23mpg or so on the highway." How did you arrive at these figures
> ? The only way to accurately figure fuel mileage is to divide miles
> travelled by the amount of fuel used. You need to do this over several tanks
> of gas to get an average.

I did that for the highway miles. I took to around 5 Long road trips
(1200 miles per trip). And that is how I computed the mileage for the
highway. I did it similarly for the city driving.