Old January 15th 06, 01:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default M60 Oil Pump bolt experience

KMS-Brett Anderson wrote:

> Luckily for you, you were unable to get that hex thing loose, because it's
> called a main cap bolt and loosening it could contribute to crankshaft
> failure.

Yeah, as I was working on it it just didn't look right to me, so I
didn't really try very hard to loosen it. The procedure I was looking
at in the Bentley manual showed their being an adjustment in only one
corner, yet each of the corners of the oil pump had the hex thing.

> The adjustment for the oil pump is actually done with an 8mm Allen key,
> through the hole that the forward bolt goes in. The adjustment is in the
> oil pump, against the head of that crank bolt, not the crank bolt itself.

Thanks. This was certainly not clear that this was the case either from
the Bentley or the parts breakdown s that I looked at. I'll try to make
the adjustment next oil change.

--
-Fred W