Old June 10th 04, 04:15 PM
Exit

"R. David Steele" /OMEGA> wrote in message

> |> Perhaps you should train them not to be? Rather than looking for an
> |> idiot-proof vehicle, do something about the idiots.
> |
> |I've been made aware of non-drivers (there are some in the US, in the
> |big cities) being in the US Army and being expected to drive a Hummer.
> |
> |And not the emergency get us the hell out of here situations...
>
> The US is not a nation of farm boys these days. Yet we expect
> soldiers and Marines to have certain life skills. Driving, and
> auto maintenance, are common task skills that all are expected to
> have. Also there are too many who, being young, just like to
> push the hell out of a vehicle.
>
> Thus can the LR Defender take the same level of abuse that the
> Hummer does?

I can't imagine British squaddies being any kinder to their vehicles than
their American counterparts are. Land Rovers have been taking this abuse for
over 50 years now - maybe when Hummers have been in continuous service for
50 years with hundreds of armys around the world you can come back to this
discussion and tell us whether the hummer can take the same level of abuse
that the Land Rover has already proved it can.