Old June 10th 04, 04:11 PM
Exit

"ben" > wrote in message
om...
> Don't know know if the question has been asked before, but humor me
> for a bit and share your thoughts on gas prices and if ya think
> driving an SUV is unpatriotic? In my own mind its a complicated
> question that can effect US national security (the part where we in
> the USA are dependent upon foreign oil). It was a topic that was sort
> of covered in the last issue of national geographic so I posted
> another rant on why I think in general SUVs suck.
>

> http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/ar...patriotic.html
>

> I just filled up my land cruiser and it took $100+, oh well its my toy
> and its the only vehicle that can accomplish what I want it to do, so
> I don't mind paying for the priviliage of driving the darn thing, but
> with gas prices all over the news and oil prices now just dropping are
> people going to ignore the recient gas price spike??????

Petrol prices are very low in the US compared to the rest of the developed
world even with the recent increases for a variety of reasons - the only
reason it is considered expensive now is because your expectation is for low
fuel prices. It's all relative.

As for driving an SUV being unpatriotic, well I suppose if it wasn't built
in the US and took jobs and profit away from American workers then it could
be considered unpatriotic, but not because it's thirsty. Then again, as most
US oil comes from foreign countries you could consider buying any fuel
unpatriotic if you wanted. You'd be stupid of course, but you could do it!