Old July 21st 05, 01:21 PM
Comboverfish

> Yes, I did put in 2 cans and then added about good part of a third can.
> So that amounts to nearly 30 ounces. I did not hear any obvious leaks.
> But I did hear momentary hissing from the low-side valve while I was
> charging. It was such a short duration I doubt it could have leaked 1
> lb of freon. I checked all the connections, and I don't see any sign of
> oil seepage. One possibility is that a leak could be inside the
> evaporator. But the system held a 30" vacuum for nearly 6 hours with no
> drop at all. I would be surprised if there is a leak.
>
> Unfortunately the compressor does not have warranty. It only had a
> 90-day warranty, and I kept it for almost a year before installing it.
> If I can't fix the compressor myself, I will have to trash it and buy
> another one. Is there a way to check the compressor operation without
> charging with freon?

The noise you heard from the low side fitting may have just been the
rush of freon into your system during charging.

With a leak test of 6 hours, it is unlikely that you have a significant
leak, with the possible exception of your schrader valves (because the
gauges were hooked up to them at the time).

The best, easiest way to test a compressor is on the car with a
properly charged system. Evac and charge the system with the correct
weight of freon, probably .9 oz R134a. Double check your book figure
by looking in the engine compartment for an A/C label. Use 85% of the
R12 amount listed. 1.1 lbs sounds a little low even for a Metro; I
usually trust the car decal over a service book.

Finally, I would say that the compressor is bad based on your
pressures, but again, make sure your gauges are accurate.

Toyota MDT in MO