Old July 25th 05, 05:30 AM
Pars

"Abeness" > wrote in message
> Pars wrote:
> > The mechanic also said that the master and slave cylinder were leaking

and
> > the clutch pedal was very stiff (but not stiff enough to hamper the lead

in
> > my left foot).

> Mine was feeling a bit weird when I replaced the master/slave cylinders.
> and the master was leaking here as well. Dealer said the slave was
> leaking too when I had the car inspeced prior to purchase, but I didn't
> see any evidence of that myself.
>
> >>If whatever they're wanting to do the overhaul on involves removing the
> >>tranny, have them inspect the clutch for wear and decide then. Tegger's
> >>still on his original clutch at 400,000 km...

> > If I wasn't aggressive with the tranny, I'm sure the thing would

probably
> > would last forever. Considering that the engagement point for my clutch

has
> > gone all the way down to the floor and switching into first or reverse

is a
> > little tricky, something is not right.

> Maybe not forever, as there is wear however you drive. The fact that you
> have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch
> could merely be the result of the low fluid and failing cylinders.
>
> Since the master and slave cylinders are so easy to replace--I'm
> relatively new to automotive work, but am a pretty handy guy in
> general--and since replacing them doesn't involve dropping the tranny,
> I'd start with those and see how it feels after a pedal adjustment. The
> job can be done in less than 2 hours. If you want to do it
> yourself--really, it's easy--see my post "clutch master & slave cylinder
> replacement notes (94 Civic EX)" (7/8/2005). Helpful to have a Helm
> manual, too--an excellent investment.

I'm taking the car on a long drive for the long weekend (about 20hrs of
highway driving), so I was also planning on getting the clutch replaced as
an added insurance. My mechanic quoted me about $600 for the job (using
Honda parts) compared to the Honda dealership that quoted $1500 for clutch
overhaul.

Pars