Old August 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

Default M5 versus Shelby GT500

> wrote in message ...
> 2006 BMW M5 (5 liter V10 7 speed with 500 horsepower & 383 torque)
> versus 2007 Ford Shelby GT500 ( 5.4 liter V8 6 speed with 500 horsepower
> & 480 torque). I am not a mechanic and don't know exactly what torque
> is but I heard that if a car has more torque, it has more power.

If other things (such as weight, Cd, gearing, etc.) are equal, then more
torque = faster acceleration and more horsepower = higher top speed.

> If I am right, does that mean Ford Shelby can out run M5 from zero to
> sixty
> and high speed?.

Not necessarily.

> Also M5 costs almost twice as much than Shelby GT500
> so seems Shelby is a better value. Am I right?

No.

> Is there other side to this that I am ignorant about? Enlighten me please
> if I am.

For most of us, automotive value involves a good deal more than straight
line acceleration and top speed.

Tom K.