Old June 14th 05, 03:06 PM
Malt_Hound

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> My '94 325i gives a combined - long term - mileage of 24.5 mpg. When driving
> on the freeeway at 80+, I get about 27.7 over my 40 mile commute. If I get
> stuck in traffic for a very long time on the way to work, then the number
> drops rapidly.
>
> My car has the OBC (On Board Computer) with lots of buttons. One of the
> buttons is labeled CONSUM. When I press it, the OBC displays CONSUM1, and
> when I press it again, it reads CONSUM2. I reset CONSUM1 everytime I fill
> the tank (everytime I get gas, I fill the tank) and the reading is usually a
> bit above 24.5. CONSUM2 is never reset, so it gives a reading over a very
> long time. (CONSUM1 & CONSUM2 can each be reset, but I do not reset CONSUM2
> as a matter of practice.)
>
> I assume I could slow down to the maximum legal speed limit in my state, and
> improve my fuel mileage as a result, but what's the fun in doing that?

Point of interest is that my lock-stock '94 540iA also has the avg. MPG
feature in its OBC and I get almost the same mileage. Actually, I tend
to average 23.8-24.2 mpg in mixed driving, but it does not get much
better on the highway. Not bad for a 286HP / 295 ft. lbs beast with a
slush box... ;-)

-Fred W