Old July 22nd 05, 08:02 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

mikebode wrote:

>That's what I thought, but the lights do not come on.

They might not be used?

>There are 2 big reflectors in the headlight cluster. One of them has some
>kind of lens, the other (the innermost one) does not. When I turn on the
>light, only the one with the lens turns on. When I switch to Hi-beam (by
>pushing the stalk on the steeiring wheel), the same lamp gets brighter, but
>the other lamp stays dark. Very strange.

As I understand, the bi-xenon lights use the same lamp for both low
beam and high beam. There's a shutter mechanism being switched when
you move the stalk so that actually the xenon light gets reflected by
a differently shaped reflector in the back of the housing for high
beam, throwing a larger and different pattern.

The light casings you see might as well be for the non bi-xenon high
beams. They would light up when low beam is switched off and high beam
is switched on in a non xenon equipped car.

In your car they might just not be operating, but it's cheaper to use
the same assembly.

Regards

Wolfgang