Old July 18th 05, 05:31 PM
Toby Cowger

: My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
: flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust before
: the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve nor
: the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is a
: reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?

: Also, and curious, the TCS light has intermittently come on when the engine
: check light was on. Neither has come back on since I reset the codes and
: have driven it several trips, including up to 60 mph with decel. several
: times to get the EGR system check to operate. I wonder if maybe there is a
: bad ground or transients in the system. I see complaints of erratic engine
: check lights and unreliable ODB codes on Hondas of this era. Anyone have
: some knowledge of this stuff?

: The van has 80K miles on it. I am an electronics tech working on repairs at
: the component level and have a DIY level of auto repair skill that is above
: average.

As well as replacing the EGR valve, you'll need to remove the intake manifold
and get all the carbon out of that, too. There is a kit available from Honda
that has a teflon coated pipe to fit into the EGR port to reduce the tendancy
for it to clog. It's about a half a day job for your first time.

The TCS light and check engine light are probably trying to tell you that
your transmission is failing. Get it into the dealer and they'll get you
a rebuilt one put in for free. These are covered out to 100k miles.

Unfortunately, your EGR system is only covered out to 80k miles. If you've
got a really good relationship with your dealer, they might let you slide
if you're just past 80k, otherwise, no.

Check out www.odyclub.com for a lot of info on both these common problems.