Old July 10th 06, 02:44 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Default 2006 330xi - I don't want the run-flat tires. Can do?

"Mike Mayer" > wrote in message
> The new '06 330xi comes with 225/45R 17" run flats. I don't want them.
>
> That tire by the way, is a 25" outside diameter tire.
>
> I would rather go with something more conventional for the rough NE Ohio
> winters - wider sidewall aspect to absorb the rougher roads is a good
> start, and even the Bimmer website mentions this warning:
>
> "Due to low-profile tires, please note: wheels, tires and suspension parts
> are more susceptible to road hazard and consequential damage. Performance
> tires are not recommended for driving in snow and ice."
>
> So, where does that leave us who live in wintry climates half the year?

It leaves you owning two sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter.

> Thinking along the lines of (don't laugh - I have my reasons :-) ), the
> Goodyear Asssurance Triple Tread, which the closest size fitment is the
> 225/50, but on a 16" rim (they don't make the 225/45 17" in that
> particular tire). A 225/50R 16 tire has a 24.9" outside diameter
> (identical outside diameter as you get with the 205/55R 16 on the 325xi).
> So, the difference in tire dia to the 25" dia with the 225/45R 17" on the
> 330xi is of no appreciable consequence.
>
> However....
>
> Question #1 is whether or not a 16" rim will even fit a 330xi (you get 16"
> on the 325xi). The difference is in brake rotor diameter between the
> 325ix (11.8"), and the 330xi (13.0" front /13.2" rear), so I don't know
> if I can even put a 16" on that 330xi.

Given the numbers you just used, 16" rims will not fit.

> But still, if the 330xi WILL take a 16" rim, that puts me closer to where
> I want to be, and leads to my next...
>
> ...Question #2: What to do about the spare for four conventional tires?
> Went to BMW and looked at that plastic tub bolted into the bottom of the
> trunk on the 330xi. Obviously that won't hold a tire (not even a space
> saver), so I am curious if one were to REMOVE that tub, if I'd be looking
> at the original tire well. It appears from looking at it, that this tub
> occupies a nominally large space underneath, but whether enough to fit a
> spare, I don't know. I didn't think to look from underneath the car -
> that would have revealed more.

Since the bodies of the two cars come off of the same stamping machines, I'd
guess that the tire well in the trunk is the same on both cars.