Old July 22nd 05, 06:01 PM
J Strickland

"Amanda Robin" > wrote in message
> Hi all--
>
> I will probably buy a BMW 3 series later this year. I have been doing my
> homework on the Internet and visited a dealer a couple of times.
> Exchanged some e-mails with the dealer in the next town over.
>
> I think I'm going to want an all-wheel-drive model. My question is, is
> it ever possible to order a car (not buy off the lot) and retain any
> ability to negotiate a good price? I'm pretty patient, but I doubt
> whether I will have many chances to find close to what I want on a lot.
>
> This is a pretty basic question, but I haven't seen it addressed on the
> car buying sites. I have just sort of assumed that you can only bargain
> well if you can convince them that you will walk away if you don't get a
> reasonable deal. (Do you have to pay something down when ordering a car,
> by the way?)
>
> You might be interested to know that when I requested one of those
> competitive quotes over the Internet (I think this one was from Kelly),
> the BMW dealer in a large city in TX quoted me exactly MSRP.

Do they
> think people are dumb, or is an 06 Bimmer hot enough that it's
> non-negotiable right now?

1.) No, they don't think people are dumb.
2.) No, the BMW is not non-negotiable.
3.) They are never in a million years give you the Best Price on the first
contact. They'll give you a price that they will let the car out the door at
without any fuss whatsoever, but if you want to engage in a negotiation,
they are going to start from a high point, not a low one.
4.) If you won't buy for MSRP, the next guy will, good luck. Your ability to
negotiate a price on an '05 is better than on an '06.