Old May 26th 05, 12:25 AM
Dave Milne

I'm with Steve - those things are f*king lethal - no way are their ratings
real. Buy something decent like a griphoist/tirfor or whatever you call them
your side of the pond, and you will see what their interpretation of a 1.5-3
ton winch is ; a lot bigger.

You can't avoid being near those come-along things, and they don't obey the
number one rule of winch design; i.e. the rope is NOT the weakest link.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> Stephen Cowell wrote:
> >
> > "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > > I highly recommend a Come-A-Long as your first winch:
> > > http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html
> > >
> > > These are inexpensive and 'normally' will work anytime, anywhere.

even
> > > if you get a powered winch after, they do die and wear out at the

worst