Old June 9th 04, 04:20 AM
Mark Gonzales

Lots of comments in this thread, including a little Honda bashing. As a
long-time Honda owner / fan, I'd just like to say a few words, um'k?

I'm on my third new Honda (plus 1 used). Unfreggin'belivable servicing on my
Hondas over the years. My current one is now 5 years old with almost 70k
miles and not a single issue! Nada! But it's important to note that all
servicing gets done by Honda and strictly by the book. Even more important
is that I've never molested any of my cars in even the slightest way.

I've been a repeat customer since 1989 for a reason. But will I repeat yet
again? Nope. And here's why...

First, I just don't like the styling of most Hondas made after the late '80s
/ early '90s. No “affordable” Honda does it for me anymore in the same way
that my co-worker's new '86 Acura Integra did when I first saw it (we didn't
even know what an 'Acura' was). Or how about the late '80s Preludes? Simply
stunning IMO, even if they never shared the Accords’ and Civics’ stellar
reputation for reliability (though always one notch below Toyota). And while
I can't say that my '89 CRX Si was a head turner, it did introduce me to the
goodness that is Honda, and was probably a better car than the one I REALLY
wanted, a new '89 Fiero…that never was.

While all three of my Civics have been outstandingly good cars, my '89 CRX
Si (the only one actually shipped from Japan) was probably the better built
car, as well as my ’86 Integra LS (bought used from my wife’s boss who took
really good care of it). Now I’m not saying that the good people of Ohio
can't build a good quality car (or can they? - more on that in a moment) as
my last two Ohio born Civics are / were as tight as a drum. I’m still
impressed with my American built car every time I drive it.

Pic of a red ’99 Civic Si for reference…
http://www.cvol.net/wheels/civic_si.htm

BUT...

....the times are a changing and Honda is going downhill. Regarding the
current Civic…
http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?...age_num ber=5

“Way too many rattles, way too many shades of metallic in the paint, harsh
ride, numb path control on the interstate.
Something new from Honda — a loser.” – Car & Driver

I didn’t just take Car & Driver’s word for it that Honda sucks (we know how
car rags can be sometimes), I investigated these issues for myself. And with
the exception of maybe the S2000, Hondas just aren’t built to perfection
anymore.

Pic of a Honda S2000 for reference (the yellow car)…
http://www.saturnperformance.com/pro...lant18pic2.jpg

Fit-and-finish are no longer flawless. Maybe still above average, but not
PERFECT! If I can’t get that perfect build quality which I’ve become
accustom to with even my cheap cars, then I’ll start looking at competitors
who usually offer more power, more size, and more features for the money. A
less than perfect build quality is going to come back to bite Honda on the
ass, and I praise honest car rags like Car & Driver for pointing this out. I
sure hope Alabama builds Odysseys better than Ohio is building Civics and
Accords. BTW, my parent’s ’00 Accord EX is not up to par either. Their '91
Accord LX was, but not their '00.

Hondas are just plain fugly nowadays anyway. I can never forgive them for
the '93+ Integra (although the RSX is an improvement). And the Accord,
ughhh! They uglyfied it in '94 and it's never looked good since. And neither
has the Prelude since '91. UGLY! UGLY! FUUUUGLY! The Accord and Civic sedans
are beyond fugly and I'm sure the Civic coupe is next. I blame the stylist
in California who are designing these fugly abominations (or anyone still
left in Japan)! The "H" is for homely.

And I hear that Honda’s 3.5L V6 is complete garbage (but itz got V-TECH,
yo!) and the auto transmission is a piece of crap (my brother’s ’02 Odyssey
tranny has been recalled). So screw Honda, my next car will be a domestic
(and one that’s built in the US of A – not Canada or Mexico). In fact, the
new Mustang GT is what my automotive dreams are made of.

’05 Mustang GT!!! V8, baby!, WooHoo!
--

Mark
’99 Civic Si