Old June 8th 04, 05:06 PM
Bob Shuman

The Chevy Vega (which I believe was first introduced in the 1970 or 1971
model year) was actually (just a bit too far) ahead of its time. The
aluminum alloy engine block was nice and light, but the cylinder walls
unfortunately did not hold up well over time and the under-designed cooling
system caused problems due to the differing coefficients of thermal
expansion with the steel head resulting in head gasket sealing problems,
coolant loss, overheating and warpage.

I rebuilt several of these engines when I was a lot younger. I eventually
learned to use a bored and (steel) sleeved remanufactured short block and
replaced the standard (smaller) radiator with the larger HD one used for the
AC equipped version. With these modifications and several others including
an Edelbrock manifold, Holley 4 barrel carburetor, and headers my tiny
little 140 cubic inch 2.3 L engine actually ran very well. And, when I got
rid of the car after 60K miles, it still burned almost no oil between 3K
changes.

Bob