Old July 12th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Default '98 Concorde won't start / dies while driving

Larry Crites wrote:

> "Joe Brown" <u24034@uwe> wrote in message news:63241a25ac180@uwe...
>
>>I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7l, with under 88,000 miles. My wife
>>drives it 90% of the time and she keeps telling me of problems starting
>>and
>>dying while driving. I have experienced it several times myself, or I
>>wouldn't believe her. It seems to die more when under 1/4 tank of fuel,
>>but
>>has a hard time starting at various fuel levels, temperatures (ambient and
>>engine), and when restarting after it dies. Many times after it dies, it
>>will kick and buck upon restart. Sometimes it will die when driving at
>>any
>>speed, and other times when stopping. I have taken it to numerous
>>mechanics
>>who can find nothing wrong. The plugs and pcv valve have been replaced.
>>replaced the auto shutoff and fuel pump relays which seemed to help for
>>about
>>3 months, then it started again. Also, it has been using alot of oil (4-5
>>quarts every 3k miles), but no sludge buildup, as it is burning it.
>>Please
>>help!

> My 1999 Intrepid (2.7L) would stall when I got down to half a tank. I

tried
> the relays, also. Didn't fix it. Dealer couldn't figure anything out.

Local
> shop checked everything topside, then went to the tank. The fuel module
> (pump, filter, etc.) would not hold pressure. They replaced the module,
> haven't had a problem since. This may or may not be your problem.

I tend to agree that a new fuel pump will fix it based on several posts
of similar symptoms on the 300M forums - seems the OP always posts back
that ultimately a new fuel pump/sender unit fixed it.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')