Old July 2nd 05, 02:13 PM
Karls Vladimir Peņa

Default Funny timing behavior

Hi ramva! I just finished cleaning up the engine (cleaning inside out,
changing all gaskets, fixing exhaust studs) and it definetely feels crisper.
I checked the compression (twice), changed the spark plugs and wires,
adjusted the valves and adjusted the carb on idle. there is something weird
going on with the dizzy though. It is a toyota electronic distributor
installed by a PO. It's suposed to be a centrifugal-vacuum type, but the
vacuum port is broken and there's no hose, so I statically timed it to 7.5
BTDC and fired up the engine. All good so far. Connected the timing light
and checked again the RPM's, 900, ok. Then pointed it to the marks on the
pulley and when pressing the throtle, the marks move to the right! aren't
they suposed to move LEFT? moved the dizzy a little and noticed the RPMs go
up when advancing, maximum RPM's close to 30 BTDC!!! Press the throtle and
it goes down to 8-10 BTDC!!! Isn't this proof that it is retarding the
ignition? How should I set this?

TIA,
Karls