Old December 7th 04, 07:54 PM
Mike R

In article >,
(Nicknotnicky) wrote:

> Thanks all. Yes I'm sorry I should have been more clear. The light I am
> referring to is the "idiot light" on the dash. I'll check for a switch in the
> console. Beyond that, I guess it's a trip to the mechanic...

http://hometown.aol.com/nicknotnicky...e/profile.html

Three circuits will trigger the brake warning lamp:

* Brake fluid level switch (master cylinder)
* Parking (emergency) brake switch
* Ignition switch (start position for bulb prove-out)

FWIW, this is what I would try with the symptom being intermittent:

Remove the center console and inspect the parking brake switch adjustment,
loose mounting h/w, etc. If ok, disconnect the connecter at the parking
brake switch, removing it from the circuit. Drive around and test. If
problem clears, adjust or replace the parking brake switch.

If brake warning lamp still randomly illuminates, check the m/c brake
fluid level. Ok, you've obviously done this. Remove the connector at the
m/c. Short the two pink with white trace wires with a jumper and leave
connecter disconnected. This will remove the brake fluid level switch
while maintaining the ignition switch (prove-out) circuit. Drive around
and test. If problem clears, the brake fluid level switch is defective.

If the symptom still persists, either there's an intermittent shorted wire
(pink/white trace) to chassis on the grounding side of the warning lamp or
possibly an issue with the ignition switch...

--
Mike
93 Cobra