Old February 1st 05, 08:14 PM

Default Vanagon problems

Hello,
I recently bought a 1986 vanagon and found that I will need to replace
the engine within the next 6 months since one of the lifters is not
working properly.
In the mean time I experienced a sudden loss of power when driving on
the freeway. I was driving at 65 mph and all in a sudden I went down to
50 mph, although I was shifting gears (standard transmission) never
could go back to 65 mph or higher. Also, two days before the OXS light
in the dashboard went red. I read that I just needed to reset the
button, which I did not do, since it was driving ok.
Someone told me that the cathalytic converter has to be replaced in
order to get the power back.
Anyone has experienced a similar problem?
How much should I pay for a reused engine?

Raphael