Old June 3rd 05, 05:40 AM
Evan

Default Strut rod failure due to polyurethane bushings

I just rebuilt the front suspension on my 66 coupe. I rebuilt the
control arms, upgraded to #620 coils and installed Pro Motorsports
Negative Wedge and Vario Eccentric kits. I plan to finish the rest of
the suspension with the Street Heat kit from Mustangs Plus. Anyways
when I spoke to a rep about the alignments specs I should use, he asked
if I had installed polyurethane strut rod bushings. I said that I had,
and he told me I need to switch my polyurethane strut rod bushings back
to the rubber ones. The reason being that the polyurethane bushings
will not allow the strut rod to pivot in the mounting hole on the frame
like the rubber ones do. This will eventualy snap the strut rod.

Has anyone else heard of this happening?

Also should I install polyurethane bushings in the spring perch? Or
should I go with the rollerized kind? I couldn't find a suppler with
just the polyurethane bushings in stock, so I reused the current rubber
perches because they looked to be pretty good.

Evan
66 coupe w/ 91 5.0, t-5, 9" rear