Old May 24th 05, 09:53 PM
shiden_kai

> However, here's the part I don't get: What is preventing the driver
> from shifting into reverse while going 60 miles an hour?

Depends on what gear you are shifting from. If you stick
it in neutral, you can go straight into reverse. If you have
a trans that's a 5 speed with reverse directly below 5th gear,
these will have a reverse lockout that prevents you going
directly from 5th to reverse. On other types of patterns,
there is often a reverse "gate" that you have to go through
to get to reverse. Under normal conditions it's unlikely that
you will go thru the gate while shifting gears, it takes a bit
more effort to go thru the gate and into reverse.

Ian