Old September 9th 04, 12:55 PM
Dad

"Key Bored" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a 98 Vette convertible with the original Goodyear Eagle F1 tires
> (14,000 miles on the car). The tires still have good tread, but I want to
> replace them with quieter tires. Up until now, I never gave tire noise
> much
> thought, but the droning noise on the Goodyears, even at low speed, makes
> it
> almost impossible to hear the verbal routing instructions from the
> Magellan
> Roadmate 700 GPS navigation system that I recently purchased.
>
> I heard some time ago (probably on this newsgroup) that Michelin might be
> good choice for a quiet tire. A high-performance tire is of secondary
> importance to me, since I don't intend to drive the car to its limits.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Key Bored

Actually I gave up on Michelin some time ago because they became hard and
slick as they grew old. Plus they have an absurd price. After less than
9,000 miles on a new set of runflats I switched back to Continental
non-runflat tires. Speed rated and half the cost, quiet, and an all season
tread because I don't put my Corvettes away in the winter time. Added an air
pump and a plug kit and went about enjoying the car less the terrible noise.
The Continental's have about the same tread design as the new design on the
2005 Corvette. They now have about 20,000 miles on them and are still quiet
and show about 50% wear. I have a more secure feeling on them than I did on
the Goodyear with 9,000 miles. Don't overlook Dunlop, they were my second
choice.

Just my experience, buy what you like and enjoy the Corvette.

--
Dad
04 C5 CE Z51