Old June 6th 05, 05:28 PM
John S.

"Result: Almost all road maintenance paid by the poor and middle
class, and
almost NOTHING paid by the rich for maintaining the roads."

JS> I don't undertstand how the rich pay almost nothing but the poor
pay more under that scheme. The fees are based on where you are
driving from and not on what you make (or own). If a rich man and a
poor man each commute 30 miles to the city center they pay the same
amount to use the roadway. I do not understand your math.

If you are saying that as a group the rich pay less in total than the
middle and lower class, well yes that's true. The sheer numbers of
people in the middle and lower classes account for that and not some
undefined rightwing conspiracy. The driving toll is a user fee, just
like bus fare and bridge tolls.

The potential downside of such a tax is that it could redirect so many
people to public transportation that more and trains and train
right-of-way will have to be acquired. And revenues for road
maintenance may decline to a point that other taxes will have to be
imposed. Unintended consequences....