Old June 6th 05, 05:25 PM
Jon Enslin

Ed Stasiak wrote:
> BBC News
> Sunday, 5 June, 2005
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610755.stm
>
> 'Pay-as-you-go' road charge plan
>
> New charges could be used to tackle road congestion
> Drivers could pay up to =A31.34 a mile in "pay-as-you go"
> road charges under new government plans.
>
> The transport secretary said the charges, aimed at cutting
> congestion, would replace road tax and petrol duty.
>
> Alistair Darling said change was needed if the UK was to
> avoid the possibility of "LA-style gridlock" within 20
> years.
>
> Every vehicle would have a black box to allow a satellite
> system to track their journey, with prices starting from
> as little as 2p per mile in rural areas.

What I don't understand about this is that a basic gas tax already
taxes those who use the roads more right? So this plan would tax those
that use certain road even more. Is that worth the costs associated
with setting up and monitoring this program? Just so you can shift
revenue from those travelling in the country to those travelling in the
city?

Jon