Old April 20th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Used SW2 or SW1; Buying advice

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

-> I am thinking about looking for a good used Saturn wagon. I really
-> like the LW2 but that may not be in my budget and the SW should get
-> better gas milage.
->
-> I have a fair amount of car buying experience but what special problems
-> should I be aware of in searching for a SW wagon?
->
-> I recall that early Saturns had some serious problems with oil
-> consumption. What years was this a problem? I am hoping to find a
-> 1997 or later car. Was the problem fixed and if so by what model year?
->
-> I definitely want a 5 speed but I have heard of manual transmissions
-> problems. Is this true and if so what years are best/worst?

I have a 97 SW1, 5 speed. Not long ago the gear shift handle broke loose
from the cables and it cost me about $350.00 to repair it, iirc. Had to
take it to the Saturn dealer. No one else could touch it.

Mine is very low mileage (just went over 30,000 last week). Higher mileage
vehicles may have problems I haven't yet experienced.

-> I love the plastic body panels but do Saturns have any corrosion issues
-> with their space frames? If so, how do I check?
->
-> How long do the timing chains last? Are they difficult/expensive to
-> repair?
->
-> How about clutches?
->
-> Did Saturn offer any type of a sport suspenion on the SW?
->
-> What type of fuel economy are people getting on their SW1s or SW2s?

I get about 30 mpg combined city/highway, but I'm a conservative driver.

-> I notice a fair variation in published fuel economy for SWs, what years
-> are best? I'd like to get an SW2 if the economy doesn't suffer too
-> muuch.
->
-> Can I expect a good 200,000 miles out of a well maintained SW with out
-> major problems?
->
-> What size wheels and tires do the SWs use?
->
-> What can I expect to pay for a well maintained SW2 with about 75Kmi?

--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/