Old June 8th 04, 03:17 PM
Simon

"Stuart Powell" > wrote in message > ...
> I know a lot of questions have been posted and answered about Alfa oil types
> & recommendations but I have another one! Its coming up to oil change time
> but this is the first time I have changed the oil since i bought the car.
> Ive had it just under a year and done about 6-7000 miles. It is a 2000 156
> 2.0 Selespeed. I bought it privately and even now the oil is still very
> clean and the level has dropped little but i dont know what type of oil is
> in it - standard, semi or fully synthetic. I know fully synthetic is
> recommended and that is what i want to use but i have heard that if you
> change from non synthetic to synthetic then deposit can dislodge from the
> engine because of the new type of oil. Is this true and Is there any way to
> find out what oil is in it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated
>
> Stuart

I think the deposits that can be freed is more of an issue with
mineral oil being changed to synthetic/semi synthetic. As long as
you've got semi synthetic you should be fine. The plate in your engine
bay should recommend Selenia 20K semi synthetic oil - I think this is
10W40. Some people recommend 10W60 which is only available from
castrol classic oils or Brett Oils (if I remember correctly). My
garage (Lyles in Newcastle) who I would trust with my life put in Agip
5W40 fully synthetic in my 156 V6.

I wouldn't get too worried unless you live in a very cold climate/very
hot one, especially as you're going to replace every 7000 miles.
Modern oils will still be in pretty good shape then. Semi should be
fine, but if you like to live in the red zone maybe the fully
synthetic would be better.

As for finding out what oil is in it - don't know, but my garage use a
flushing agent after draining the sump which should remove all the old
oil - you could ask for one to be done, that way it shouldn't matter
what is there now. Good sign that it's clear though!

Hope this helps, and any oil engineers can freely point out any
mistakes I've made.