Old July 8th 05, 02:19 AM
Andy Chang

Default Bad EGR Valve?

Hello,
My car
2000 Honda Prelude, 84k miles

Recently, it pumped out black smoke under full throttle, but the black
smoke disappeared after I replaced all the spark plugs. I'm facing a
different problem now. At around 1500 RPM, the engine sorta knocks. It
sounded like twirling a plastic bottle with a few marbles in it. Is this
the sound of engine knock? Anyway, If I keep the engine at around 1500 RPM
at neutral, then surely, there would be this noise. And if I race the
engine and then let it fall back down to idle, right before it's to hit 1500
RPM, there is this noise. I do not hear this noise at idle or at higher
RPMs. Does this sound like a bad EGR Valve? Or bad valve lifters or rocker
arms? How would one go about troubleshooting this problem?

TIA
Andy