Old August 16th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

Default Impreza CV axle

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:09:10 GMT, mbjj > wrote:

>I have a 5 speed '98 Impreza with the small 4 cyl engine. It has
>2 split CV boots. Both inner next to the transaxle. I have the
>passenger side out to the point of popping it out of the axle and
>there is where I am having problems. It doesn't pop out like a
>conventional axle where they can be pried free between the axle
>and the transmission. How do I get this thing out? I've pulled
>and tugged on it until I pinched my fingers but it won't come free.

And it never will that way.

>My book says there may be a pin in there but I can't see one.

There is.

> So I am asking for a little help. What's the best way to get it out
>of there because I have to do the drivers side also.

Subaru drive axles are retained with a rolled pin that you push out
with a punch. Turn the axle and you will see it easily. You do not
need to drain the gear oil. The axle is attached outside of the
seals.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com